Handtool woodworking class – project finished
At last, the stool project that once began in the handtool woodworking class is finished. I finally fixed the top to the base and applied the last coat of finish (bees wax on top of three coats of BLO).
For now, I’m happy with the result – see yourself:
Accidentally, this picture graciously hides some of the mistakes that I made. It barely hints at the single leg with the taper on the outside, and you can’t look under the top, so you can’t notice the gap between the left leg and the top.
The second picture accentuates the wrongly-tapered leg, but hides the splintering on the end-grain side of the top. Note to self: Take care when shooting end-grain.
And finally, a close-up view of the multi-coloured top. This was joined from some scraps (the bicolor-shavings from the last post came from here). This shot doesn’t hide any mistakes, in fact, the joining was much easier than I feared. I wonder if anyone can guess the three different woods I used here. The winner will be allowed to buy himself some ice cream.
In conclusion, I did learn a lot from this little project. There are some things that I would do different next time, as well as some things that I’d avoid. This was the first time that I worked with hardwood (as in hard wood), and that’s really quite different from the pine or fir projects that I’ve done before. Much better, though. Of course, the stool is not a design masterpiece. For example I’d build the stretchers much thinner next time, but then, that was not the focus of this project. And it’s pretty, anyway.
So much for this project. I’m not quite sure what I’m going to build next. There are some entries on my to-do list, but I haven’t decided yet.
So far, thanks for reading and remember to guess the wood the top is made of!